There are several methods and exercises that can help reduce sagging jowls (double chin) caused by different factors such as aging or overweight.
The neck is a part of our body that we tend to forget until we start to notice it getting older.
Therefore, in this article, we give you the keys to help eliminate the double chin naturally by doing some simple exercises and follow some general health tips.
Overweight and sagging jowls (double chin)
If your double chin is not yet very pronounced, it may be due to an increase in weight, so the first step to get rid of it will be to avoid gaining more weight along with a solid weight loss plan.
To achieve this, you must follow a strict diet and avoid large meals.
Along with a balanced diet, regular physical activity is one of the best tools to reduce weight.
In addition, we give you these other tips to help you lose weight without great sacrifices:
- Increase consumption of fiber-rich foods
- Limit the amount of fried foods, sugars, creamy dairy products, sausages, and pastries
- Drink a glass of water half an hour before each meal
- Chew well and slowly. This will help you get full sooner and eat less food
Is there flaccidity?
In other cases, a double chin is due to sagging of the face and neck tissues and not so much to fatty tissue.
In this case, it is recommended to increase the consumption of proteins, which are the molecules that provide firmness to the tissues.
In addition to animal protein (meat, fish, eggs, milk), you can also ingest vegetable proteins found in legumes, nuts, mushrooms, and other foods. Certain collagen supplements are great allies as well.
Sagging jowls: Importance of exfoliation and hydration
An essential habit for reducing sagging jowls (double chin) is to exfoliate, moisturize and nourish the area in-depth. The goal of this habit is to renew the skin’s dead cells and promote firmness.
Exfoliations can be done with natural products such as salt, sugar, and baking soda once a week.
To carry it out, the exfoliating scrub should be applied on the moistened skin (right on the double chin), making circles with your fingers for at least one minute. Then, remove the scrub, dry the skin and moisturize it.
You may want to read: DIY Body Scrubs Homemade Recipes: A Guide to Natural Exfoliation
Always take advantage of these “oil application” moments to massage the skin and gradually reduce sagging jowls.
5 exercises and home remedies to reduce sagging jowls
To combat double chin more effectively, you must combine toning exercises with oils and other natural treatments that will help you smooth the area.
As we’ve said before, sagging jowls can form for several reasons. That’s why today, we’ll also share some of the best exercises and more home remedies to reinforce what you have learned so far.
If you perform them consistently, you will achieve a thin and slender neck that will completely change the appearance of your face in a short time.
1. Jaw mobilization
Some cases of double chin that are not related to overweight or aging may be caused by facial tension and stress affecting the jaw.
Continuous mouth clenching, day and night, can affect the flexibility and firmness of the lower jaw.
To reduce sagging jowls, therefore, you should exercise your jaw every day. In addition, this habit will help you combat bruxism; according to several studies conducted by health professionals, you can perform the following movements:
- Open and close your mouth
- Move the jaw from side to side
- Take the jaw out while bringing the chin forward and return it to its position
- Make circles to both sides
- Make all kinds of faces with the mouth (like funny faces)
2. Neck mobilization
The neck shows your age. If you forget about it, sagging areas will appear prematurely. Therefore, you must always hydrate this crucial part of your body and perform some exercises or stretching to maintain its tone every day.
You can do this particular exercise while lying down, sitting or standing. The important thing is to move the neck in all possible directions. However, you should avoid bringing the head too far back.
If you are lying down, you will not have this problem. Make the movements slowly, with the aim of relaxing and flexing the entire musculature.
3. Exfoliation and brushing
To combat neck flaccidity effectively and reduce the double chin, you cannot forget about skincare. Now is a good time to start getting into the habit of exfoliating this part of your body at least once a week.
You can use a specific product or a homemade peeling, such as coffee grounds, salt, sugar, or baking soda.
Furthermore, you can also resort to a natural technique called dry brushing to remove dead cells and improve their regeneration. You will need a natural bristle brush to massage your neck.
Make vertical movements for a maximum of 1 minute. It is best to do this before going to bed, as the skin will become red.
4. Moisturizing with oils
As we discussed before, you will need to moisturize the skin right after exfoliation. Keep in mind that many people moisturize their faces daily but forget about the neck.
Thus, by including it in your routine, you will provide very beneficial nutrients to the chin and improve its firmness and elasticity. In addition, you can prepare your own lotion to reduce sagging jowls. Here’s our favorite:
- ½ cup of almond or extra virgin coconut oil (100 gm)
- 15 drops of grapefruit essential oil
- 5 drops of lavender essential oil
- 10 drops of rose essential oil
Preparation and application:
- Mix all the oils together and store them in an airtight bottle
- Apply twice a day, upon waking up and before going to bed
This recipe brings many benefits to eliminate the double chin. Grapefruit oil helps to eliminate liquids and burn fat, lavender oil relaxes and combats tension, and rose oil increases skin firmness.
In addition, the combination of these ingredients will result in a delicious aroma.
5. Clay mask
To facilitate the elimination of toxins that accumulate under the chin, you can make clay masks.
In the same way that you normally apply them on the face to eliminate impurities or on the body to reduce volume, they can be very effective on the neck too. In addition, clay provides us with many minerals.
Don’t forget to avoid using plastic, metal utensils, or random containers when preparing the mask. You should only choose glass, wood or ceramic ones.
To reduce the double chin, and above all, to prevent it from appearing, you must combine toning exercises with the application of oils and other natural treatments that will help you smooth the area.
In conclusion, although there is no miracle method to eliminate the double chin, you can apply these exercises and natural remedies to improve its appearance.
Also, avoiding overweight and using some cosmetic products will allow you to minimize it.
Bonus: 10 foods that can help reduce double chin
- Coffee, a natural diuretic: Coffee, which is indispensable at the beginning of the day for many people, has several stimulating characteristics, but if we talk about diuretics, it is one of the best products to get rid of excess fluids in your body.
- Celery: It is a vegetable that has 92% water and very few calories. Because it is very rich in fiber, it’s an effective weapon against constipation. It is also a food with wide diuretic properties, according to the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
- Beet: It is extremely rich in fiber and is an ideal natural laxative (also good for constipation problems). Being rich in potassium, its diuretic action favors the elimination of liquids. You can prepare it as a salad, in a delicious juice, or beet kvass.
- Green leafy vegetables: Detoxifying your body should also be a priority if you want to say goodbye to a double chin. To achieve this, it is recommended to consume green leafy vegetables. These foods can eliminate toxins such as metals and pesticides from the body.
- Lemon: Have you ever craved a lemonade to quench your thirst? Lemons are ideal for staying hydrated, but they are also one of the perfect ingredients to detoxify. This is because vitamin C converts toxins into water, which, in that state, are easier to eliminate.
- Green tea: According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, green tea it’s an infusion made from the plant “Camellia Sinensis,” which has ample antioxidant and detoxifying powers and is also a great diuretic, which will help you get rid of those excess liquids that are also present in the double chin.
- Cabbage: The benefits of cabbage are widely recognized for being one of the most popular natural diuretics in food. You can add some of its leaves to a sandwich or prepare various types of stews.
- Blueberries: It is one of the most powerful detoxifiers, as it helps to reduce the harmful effects of chronic inflammation. It also works as an excellent diuretic because it eliminates any excess water from the body.
- Chewing gum: Chewing your favorite gum is the perfect exercise for you to firm the muscles of your face and neck so that you can reduce your double chin. The secret is to use a good amount of gum and chew it exaggeratedly.
- Eat bananas: A rich source of potassium, bananas are ideal to avoid fluid retention, one of the causes of the double chin. Incorporate them into your diet and benefit from their nutritional contribution.
Sagging jowls: Conclusion
If you are willing, you should exclude saturated fats and refined sugars from your diet, this is due to their high caloric content, which predisposes to obesity and several health problems, such as heart disease, diabetes, among others, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Keep in mind that tobacco is also very harmful and directly contributes to sagging jowls (and overall skin). If you smoke, you should try and stop.
We hope you found this article useful. Remember that even if you don’t have a double chin now, you should still take good care of your skin by implementing the tips we provided in this article.
Prevention is super important for this and any other ailment that we are all exposed to. Please don’t wait until it’s too late. Stay safe and healthy!